The Ukrainian State Institute of Cultural Heritage (UDIKS) was founded in 1995 (until 2017 - the Research Institute of Monument Protection Studies of the Ministry of Culture of Ukraine), and currently belongs to the Ministry of Culture and Information Policy of Ukraine.
The main tasks performed by UDICS:
- participation in the development and implementation of state programs in the field of cultural heritage protection;
-development of projects for the conservation, restoration, regeneration (revitalization, rehabilitation, adaptation) of monuments and objects of cultural heritage;
- development of management plans for UNESCO World Heritage sites;
- development of plans for organizing the territories of historical and cultural reserves and historical and cultural protected areas;
- development of historical and urban planning and research and design documentation (historical and architectural reference plans of historical settlements, projects of cultural heritage protection zones);
- scientific and technical developments on the location of new construction and reconstruction facilities within the historical areas of historic settlements;
- development of accounting documentation for monuments and objects of cultural heritage;
- Preparation of methodological recommendations and scientific substantiation for draft legal acts on the promotion, protection and preservation of cultural heritage;
- creation of scientific and technical developments to summarize the world and national experience in the field of popularization, protection and preservation of immovable cultural heritage and development of new strategies and methods;
- development of methodological recommendations for the promotion of cultural heritage through measures for its preservation (conservation, restoration, rehabilitation, regeneration, museification, adaptation, maintenance and use of cultural heritage monuments for cultural and educational purposes);
- scientific, methodological, and advisory assistance to institutions, organizations, and higher education institutions in conducting and implementing research on the protection, preservation, and popularization of cultural heritage sites;
- scientific support for the formation of the State Register of Immovable Monuments of Ukraine and electronic databases of cultural heritage sites, historical and cultural reserves and historical and cultural protected areas, and UNESCO World Heritage sites;
- monitoring the state of cultural heritage;
- conducting research expeditions;
- conducting scientific and technical expertise of the state of preservation of cultural heritage objects and scientific and technical documentation of projects for conservation, restoration, rehabilitation, regeneration of cultural heritage monuments and objects and other issues of protection and preservation of immovable cultural heritage;
- submitting proposals for inscribing cultural heritage sites on the World Heritage List and preparing nomination dossiers;
UDIKS developed research and design documentation for determining the boundaries of territories and buffer zones of a number of Ukrainian sites inscribed on the World Heritage List:
- "Kyiv: St. Sophia Cathedral and adjacent monastery buildings, Kyiv Pechersk Lavra"
- "Wooden Churches of the Carpathian Region of Ukraine and Poland" Western Ukraine
- "Residence of the Metropolitans of Bukovina and Dalmatia in Chernivtsi" Chernivtsi
Historical and architectural reference plans defining the boundaries and modes of use of monument protection zones and historical areas of historic cities included in the List of Historic Settlements of Ukraine:
Kyiv, Lutsk, Vinnytsia, Kropyvnytskyi, Odesa, Zaporizhzhia, Chernivtsi, Kherson, Yevpatoria, Izmail, Kerch, Kakhovka, Bara, Vasylkiv, Vinogradov, Volochiska, Horlivka, Horodok, Derazhnya, Korop, Korts, Lysychansk, Melitopol, Myrhorod, Nikopol, Orikhova, Satanova, Simeiza, Sumy, Tokmak.
Draft master plans for the development of nature reserves:
– Khortytsia National Reserve
– National Architectural and Historical Reserve "Ancient Chernihiv"
– The National Historical and Archaeological Reserve "Kamianna Mohyla" (correction);
– National Historical and Memorial Reserve "Bykivnia Graves"
– National Reserve "Chersonesos Tavriya" (correction)
– The State Historical and Cultural Reserve "Tustan" (adjustment of the draft boundaries of the reserve)
Draft plans for the organization of territories:
– National Historical and Ethnographic Reserve "Pereyaslav"
– State Historical and Cultural Reserve "Posulia"
– National Historical and Cultural Reserve "Hetman's Capital"
– Chersonesos Tavriya National Reserve
– Shevchenko National Reserve in Kaniv
Concepts of territory organization plans:
– State Historical and Cultural Reserve in Bakhchisarai
– National Kyiv-Pechersk Historical and Cultural Reserve;
– National Conservation Area "St. Sophia of Kyiv"
– National Historical and Cultural Reserve "Taras Shevchenko's Homeland"
Monument protection zones (2020):
– boundaries and modes of use of the territory and protection zones of Vinnytsia's monuments (complex, site-specific);
– boundaries and regimes of use of the territory and protection zones of the monument of monumental art and history of national importance "Memorial to the employees of the internal affairs bodies killed in the line of duty", Kyiv;
– determination of the boundaries of the monument protection zones and regimes of use of the territories at 9 Amosova St., Kyiv;
– protection zones of the nationally significant architectural monument "University Chemical Building" and the locally significant architectural monument "District Court Building" located at 36 and 38 Dmytro Yavornytskyi Avenue in Dnipro;
– protection zones of the historical monument of national importance city house
of the nineteenth-century estate where H.P. Blavatsky was born and the Fadeev dynasty lived, security guard #040025, 11 Knyazya Yaroslav Mudroho St., Dnipro;
– protection zone of the nationally significant monument Hospital Fortification (Kyiv Fortress) to determine the boundaries and modes of use, Kyiv;
– protection zone for the complex of the state wine warehouse No. 1 at 14, 16 Kudriavska Street, a newly discovered cultural heritage site with the definition of boundaries and modes of use, Kyiv;
– protection zones of Tower No. 4 and the wall at 2 Staronavodnytska Street - monuments of national importance Kyiv Fortress with the definition of boundaries and modes of use, Kyiv
– Railway Station protection zone - architectural monuments in Kyiv on Vokzalna Square 1 with the definition of boundaries and modes of use;
– Protection zones Profitable House is an architectural monument in Kyiv at 12 Levandovska Street, Profitable House
– an architectural monument in Kyiv at 8/15 Levandovska St., Residential wing - an architectural monument in Kyiv at 8-b Levandovska St. by defining the boundaries and modes of use
Development of scientific and project documentation
– for the restoration of an architectural monument of national importance at 19 Lavrska Street in Kyiv to be converted into the Ivan Honchar Museum, a national center of folk culture
– for the architectural monument of local significance Passport of facade decoration as part of the project "Repair and restoration works of the main facade (restoration of the 1st floor) of the "Non-residential building, 1910-1911" at 14-A Yaroslaviv Val Street in Kyiv
– "Repair and restoration works on the facade of the architectural monument of local importance "Former County Treasury" at 22-a Dvortsova Street in Kropyvnytskyi"
– on the restoration of the sculpture "Worker and Peasant Woman" on the facade of the railway station building (architectural monument of local importance) at 6-G Sobornyi Avenue in Zaporizhzhia
– for the restoration of the Main Academic Building of the Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, an architectural monument of national importance (protected area No. 34) at 60 Volodymyrska St., Kyiv
– for the restoration of the M. Maksymovych Scientific Library, the roof and the historical part of the wall from the side of Shevchenko Blvd. Taras Shevchenko Boulevard (guardianship No. 18) at 58 Volodymyrska St., Kyiv
– for the restoration and overhaul of the Chemical Building, roof and facades at 12 A-B, Lva Tolstoho St., Kyiv
– for repair and restoration works on the facade of the building of the State Enterprise "Directorate of the House of Art Collectives" at 36 Yaroslaviv Val Street in Kyiv
On an ongoing basis, we are working on researching and providing cultural heritage sites with accounting documentation and monument protection agreements.
Expert opinions are provided on projects for urban development in the buffer zones of UNESCO sites and in the historical areas of cities.